Within Me, Without Me

Sunday, March 19, 2006

All's Well that Ends Well

So yesterday I went to the beauty salon to do something to my dull, dark brown, long hair. Initially, I went in only for a haircut - and not any haircut, Madonna's current haircut- but then, after seeing woman's heads adorned with endless swirls of tin foil, I decided to join the foil club myself and get highlights too. I was taken care of by a woman named Lee who was undoubtedly Asian and who, for some reason, confessed to me had two girls, one 18 and one 10, and no husband. Immediately, she tried to make conversation with me. You know, the usual beauty salon chit chat which is usually gossip because where there are women there's gossip but that with me can only be trivial chit chat because I don't know anyone here to gossip about. We talked and talked and she asked and asked and I answered and answered. What was I to do? And why do I always have to have one of my "experiences"? She asked about my life and I told her: student, English, gradauting in May, no boyfriend, no relatives here, one best friend, hopes to be professor one day. And then, as usual, she had to put in her 2 cents. With all her best, motherly intentions she told me that I should go to church because it is a good palce to go to make a reliable network of friends which, apparently, you can tell I need just by looking at me. And this is exactly my experience and exactly what I didn't like about it all. Me? Go to church? Then she read me. Yes. She told me that I was serious and determined, conservative and of strong character. And how long has this woman known me for? Do I give myself away so easily? To avoid any insecurities or existential questions from popping up, invading my days and messing up my brain even more than it is right now, I immediately attributed her divinations to some obscure mystic Oriental ability. Thank God for popular stereotypes of the unknown! Thank God for the Orient! Before I knew it everything was done. The foils had disappeared and the highlights appeared. You can hardly tell they're there but I can and that's enough. Maybe if you can't see them I won't be giving away more of myself inadvertedly. All's well that ends well!!
Or can you tell I'm conservative because you can hardly see them? Oh, fuck.

3 Comments:

  • Well Vivi, I got to say you are a good person and other people tend to read easily good people, so don't fret about what she said, although she had a good point with the factoid about getting to know other people...All in all do me a favor.. don't ever change!

    By Blogger K, At 9:21 AM  

  • NO te preocupes Ile, no me teƱire de rubia (por ahora, je, je). Es solo que queria hacerme algo en el pelo. Y tampoco te preocupes porque ya me conozco bien los religiosos que quieren reclutar a uno. Buena frase la de Voltaire.

    P.S. To Keyla:
    I know, I know I should make more friends... And don't worry I won't change :)

    By Blogger Viv, At 2:25 PM  

  • Great quotes Ile. I've always looked up to Emerson. He's incredible. I especillay like the qoute by Aristoteles because 'es cierto, muy cierto'

    By Blogger Viv, At 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home