Within Me, Without Me

Thursday, April 13, 2006

For ballet Lovers Like Me :)



Good News for ballet lovers! San Francisco Ballet principal Lorena Feijoo (sister of Lorna Feijoo, whose Giselle and Odette/Odile I had the pleasure to see in PR) will be in Andy Garcia's next movie "The Lost City". She dances in the movie although it is not ballet :( Nevertheless, it will give us ballet fans see a professional ballet dancer in action who otherwise we probably won't get to see. I'm sure she's a great dancer, just like her sister Lorna is. They were both trained at the Ballet Nacional the Cuba. Lorna is a principal with the Boston Ballet and Lorena with the San Francisco Ballet. The pic. above is of Lorena dancing Don Q.

I have attached the article from Dance Magazine's e-news letter bellow:

"Lost City" Siren
Andy&Lorena

When actor/director Andy Garcia’s The Lost City opens around the country on April 28th, it will introduce the non-dance public to a fiery screen presence: San Francisco Ballet’s Cuban-trained principal Lorena Feijoo. Entranced by her performance in Don Quixote, Garcia was convinced she was perfect for the role of Leonela, a seductive, glamorous nightclub dancer with whom the hero has had a tender relationship. "I was blown away by her artistry," he says. The movie, a nostalgic look at pre-Castro 1950s Havana, puts dance front and center in an evocative portrait of the city's legendary nightlife.

The role demanded cabaret-style dance to Afro-Cuban music as well as more traditional choreography on pointe. Neither proved a challenge, though Garcia was surprised by Feijoo's acting ability. “She’s extraordinary,” he says. “Lorena keeps nothing in the bag—humor, pain, sorrow. It’s not mimicry. It’s coming from within.” Garcia hopes someday to make to a movie that focuses on dance. "I wanted to be in Chicago, but I don’t tap,” he says regretfully. Meantime, he’s glad that audiences will get to see Lorena in a role that shows some of her range. “The charisma she has onstage is inherent,” he says. “She’s a natural.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home