I Hate Tallahassee/ I Miss Orlando

I'm baaaaaaaack!! Yes my peoples, I'm finally back. I finally got the internet hooked up and I finally get to be me again. I can't live without this shit. Anywho, if you've read the title of this post you already know how I feel about this place. As the girl from the bank said yesterday: "Tallahassee is a suburb of Orlando". I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't know why this city is the capital of Florida. There's not even a Super Target here. There's a Target (some 10-15 minutes away, mind you) but not a Super Target. Hello!! Maybe I'm used to the European concept of a capital city where the word "capital" means "a hell of a city: a metropolis". Apparently, in the U.S. of A. capital means "[something resembling] a city with the state university in it". This place is not a capital. This place its "the sticks" - as Malu calls what we all know as "el campo" o "la puñeta". This is not a city. This is a small town with a major university in it. And the major university I'm talking about, namely FSU, which boasts of a student population of about 40,000 students, is not a university per se: its a series of scattered, ugly biuldings without parking or easy access but with reputation. Who cares about reputation when the place is a shithole? I miss UCF. Ah, those days of no traffic and easy parking. How I miss thee!! I could keep on ranting about Tallahassee all day long. I mean it people: ALL DAY LONG. What a shitty place. But here's where I shall study and here is where I shall remain, much to my despair, for the next 4 years or so. Woe me.I really don't feel like telling the whole story of how these last 2 weeks have developed. Its too long! Instead, I'll summarize by organizing the main event in a sort of list just so y'all can have an idea of how the past 12 weeks have been for me. Here it is:
1. Got to Orlando. Everything was fine. Went to my old apartment to pick up my mail and some stuff I left behind. Found a letter that read "your admission to FSU has been cancelled". My heart dropped to the floor.
2. Drove from Orlando to Tallahassee (4hr drive. Thanks mommy for driving for me. She knows how much I hate to drive). Saw Tallahassee. Saw my apartment complex. Saw the inhabitants of my apartment complex. Saw my apartment. Sat down and cried.
3. Went to the university to clear the mess up. Was told it was all a misunderstanding and that it was no probelm at all. Went to an orientation I wasn't told of. Met some professors and some students.
4. Stalked orientators to have some much needed academic advising. Tried to enroll in some classes and couldn't because the "misunderstanding" with my admission wasn't a misunderstanding but a major problem (I wasn't admitted in FSU for the Fall semester!!). Stalked and harassed the program coordinator for her to fix the problem with my admission. Ran around the university trying to fix the "misunderstanding" about my admission. Went to admissions and finally got the problem fixed. After 2 days of running around, I was admitted to FSU. Finally, I was able to enroll and was happy.
Add to all of this unpacking, doing a second trip to Orlando to bring more stuff up here, delaying my mom's flight for a full week because I needed extra help, organizing, buying and assembling furniture, hooking up cable tv and internet, buying books, going to class, getting familiar with Tallahassee and FSU, trying to survive the Florida heat, finding a not to expensive bed, finding out about what my assistanceship entails, taking care of more paper work, getting lost everytime I drive anywhere, etc. So all in all my two weeks here have been both hectic and overwhelming. I was constantly making lists of things to do, things to buy and things to remember. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done had my mom not come over to help me (thank you mama!!). I think I would still be trying to assemble the futon.
Moral of the story: don't move! If you definitely have to, get ready for what's ahead.
My apologies for having disappeared from the face of the earth all this time. I just haven't had time!!
Things are finally calming down and taking shape: my apartment doesn't look that bad now because mom and I had a serious talk with the manager and he took action, I'm getting used to my neighbors and the general population of Tallahassee, everything is in its place and neatly organized and, guess what? I have internet again!!!!!!!
Love all!!

5 Comments:
Eek. I would've gone hysterical if something like that happened to me. '.' But I'm glad it's solved. AND NO SUPER TARGET?
The humanity. '.'
By
Stella, At
7:30 PM
pero cual es la cosa, tienes que enfrentar esto como una aventura y sacarle el jugo
total, has vivido en PUERTO RICO mas tiempo de lo que viviras en Tallahassee, las cosas no pueden ser TAN malas
eso de mudarse es como empezar de nuevo, pero claro, como siempre soy yo el que te reinstala windows, eso de empezar de nuevo es todo una odisea para los no-informaticos :P
total, puedes cogerte un fin de semana para visitar georgia y comer gumbo juas
By
Osoroco, At
9:46 PM
Nope. No Super Target nearby :( Sadness...
Que gracioso es mi hermano. Ir a Georgia a comer gumbo. Si ya estoy en el sur! Aqui cerca hay un restaurante de "soul food" o "southern comfort food" y un Popeye's. You can't get more southern than that. There's no need to get in the car hun. Estoy tratando de ver esto como una aventura pero para mi es un poco dificil porque no soy una "daredevil" exactamente. I'll try though...
By
Viv, At
1:00 PM
Well ... If anyone wants me to get a Headache in the span of 10 seconds just retell this story to me....Poor Vivi, I'm soooo sorry all this madness ocurred...you have no idea how upset I got when I heard...But I'm super happy that everything's ok now and that you have such a cool mom that stood there and helped you! Lots of Luck dudette. I know you'll do great again!
By
K, At
9:41 AM
Thank you thank you thank you girls. My personal cheerleaders did it once again: they cheered me up. You don't know how much I hate Tallahassee right now. It really isn't a nice place (in my opinion). Oh well...
By
Viv, At
6:55 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home