Ok, Ok, The Review is Here
Yes, ya fui a ver SATC. Of course, el viernes mismo cuando salio ; ) I was actually excited to go see the movie. I went with a group of friends and acquaintances. My mentoree (she helps me w my class) proposed the idea of going in a large group and I thought "ok" and signed up myself and my 2 friends. So we went, my mentoree with her 2 friends (all women in their 40's and beyond (!)) and me and my two friends (more or less my age). What a group, right? It was a nice evening until I got all melancholic - product of missing my friends while at the same time watching a movie about friendship and of feeling out of place (because it felt like everyone in the group I was in had their own clique but me). So almost everything was fine. I just decided to end the evening by going home. Literally, going home to bed.
Watching SATC was quite an experience. #1 because being in a room (or an entire movie theater for that matter) full of women was an experience all by itself #2 because I wasn't expecting to see 15 and 16 yr olds watching this movie (SATC is not for kids!) and doing the same thing I was doing #3 because its not everyday that u go to the movies and almost everyone is dressed up (I dressed up but just a little: gray jeans, black shirt, black satin jacket, smoky eyes, scarf and black booties, not too dressed up right? But then again, this is Tallahassee, meh) and #4 because seeing the girls on the big screen is quite an experience as well.
There were some things that I liked and some things that I didn't liked about the movie:
Liked:
1. all character traits were well preserved - especially Samantha
2. the fashion was phenomenal
3. good sense of humor
4. the music
5. the opening credits - a trip down memory lane (snif!)
6. literature references - Dante and Samantha in "hell" - got this one right away. Well done screen writers!
7. the mere fact that the legend that is SATC lives on
8. characters aging: it humanizes them
What I didn't like:
1. black character saves white character - as expected
2. Jennifer Hudson's acting - blah
3. product placement - too blatant (Vitamin ,Water, Mercedes Benz, Dianne VonFurstenberg...)
4. Carrie marries Big - I never liked Big. What an asshole.
5. Marriage is (once again) portrayed as a woman's key to happiness (enslaving social ceremony!)
All in all, I liked it. Not loved it though. Carrie's marriage prevented this. How about you? Was it worth the wait? Hell yea!! Would I see it again? Absofuckinlutely! But only in the right state of mind.
Watching SATC was quite an experience. #1 because being in a room (or an entire movie theater for that matter) full of women was an experience all by itself #2 because I wasn't expecting to see 15 and 16 yr olds watching this movie (SATC is not for kids!) and doing the same thing I was doing #3 because its not everyday that u go to the movies and almost everyone is dressed up (I dressed up but just a little: gray jeans, black shirt, black satin jacket, smoky eyes, scarf and black booties, not too dressed up right? But then again, this is Tallahassee, meh) and #4 because seeing the girls on the big screen is quite an experience as well.
There were some things that I liked and some things that I didn't liked about the movie:
Liked:
1. all character traits were well preserved - especially Samantha
2. the fashion was phenomenal
3. good sense of humor
4. the music
5. the opening credits - a trip down memory lane (snif!)
6. literature references - Dante and Samantha in "hell" - got this one right away. Well done screen writers!
7. the mere fact that the legend that is SATC lives on
8. characters aging: it humanizes them
What I didn't like:
1. black character saves white character - as expected
2. Jennifer Hudson's acting - blah
3. product placement - too blatant (Vitamin ,Water, Mercedes Benz, Dianne VonFurstenberg...)
4. Carrie marries Big - I never liked Big. What an asshole.
5. Marriage is (once again) portrayed as a woman's key to happiness (enslaving social ceremony!)
All in all, I liked it. Not loved it though. Carrie's marriage prevented this. How about you? Was it worth the wait? Hell yea!! Would I see it again? Absofuckinlutely! But only in the right state of mind.

7 Comments:
Los tópicos típicos :
1. mujer que encuentra su "príncipe azul"
2. el fin de la mujer es casarse, disfrazarse de blanca y radiante novia y procrear...
3. a las mujeres solo le interesa lo superficial y banal de esta sociedad:moda,etiquetas, hombre guapo con dinero...Bah.
Tampoco me gusta Mr. Big (típico macho) supuestamente prototipo del hombre que buscan las mujeres...
Nunca cambiará la idea que se tiene de las mujeres mientras sigamos aceptando estas jilipolleces establecidas en la sociedad.¡Que absurdas somos!!!
Me niego a pagar 8 euros por ver esto.
By
Unknown, At
3:13 AM
yo solo se, que además de que no voy a ir a ver esta pelicula hasta que salga traducida por mexicanos (porque entonces daría risa escucharlas decir: "órale Carrie, que tal anoche con el pinche Big, estaba picante el burrito?" ), y también sé que el muy valiente de Edryck fue a verla con la hermana y una amiga y me dijo que lloró más en la película que cuando le hicieron la depilación de la espalda con laser.
By
Osoroco, At
10:31 AM
I had a bad feeling about the movie before I saw it. In the end, the latter half of the movie turned out better than expected, but I didn't like how the movie made certain characters uncharacteristic:
-Carrie, in the beginning, became horribly pretentious
-Miranda's change at the end of the series was reversed. She was a bit too harsh in the movie
-Steve. I mean, wtf. Would Steve really do that?
-And I could go on with turning Smith into a jerk
And then there was the fact that everybody blamed Big for the wedding drama. Nobody blamed Carrie. It was both their faults, she made the wedding into something -not- about them, about love, but about flaunting everything she "had."
No se, like I said, in the beginning of the movie, I was about to hurl at how bad it was.
But you know what? I'll be damned if Carrie's, Big's, and their joint apartment aren't my dream NY apartments...
By
Stella, At
12:25 PM
Si,si yo también quiero verla en mexicano pinche..LOL!!!
Aunque aquí también será graciosa en español zzzzzz...;P
By
Unknown, At
1:16 PM
Ay Damian you're cracking me up! Carrie Mexicana, now that's something to see!
I'm with you Stella, the end of the movie was better than the begining. Especially Samantha's plot. I really liked how the preserved her character. Miranda was harsh, but that's Miranda. I really didn't like how Charlotte was the comedic relief of the movie. They portrayed her as a clown. You don't do that to goodie two shoes Charlotte! I really didn't care much about Carrie. I think that, of al the characters, her was the one that suffered the most. I only saw the real Carrie when she ran out of the apartment to rescue her shoes screaming "Taxi!". Now, that was Carrie and the outfit she wore was the most Carrie-esque Carrie that she wote in the whole movie. All in all, I liked the movie. It was ok. The most fun was watching the girls come to life again. I miss those characters.
By
Viv, At
3:18 PM
You have no idea what a nervous wreck I've been due to this movie...All in all i enjoyed it to the max. I am a hopeless romantic and couldn't help but (again) realte to Carrie... Sorry to think that you didn't like Carrie here. They aged.It was a completely different perspective in life and how they are supposed to be. Therefore I understand why she had to be this way.....
By
K, At
8:17 AM
I am sorry that some femenine cliches disapointed you, but deep down, everyone of this characters, except for Samantha of course, all they wanted was to find someone to share the rest of their lives with, deep down they were fighting the Charlotte within, but in the end, it caught up to them because it is what they desired. Second point, like it or not, its a chick flick, that's why all those topics that the modern intelligent, independent femenine brain find completely archaic and annoying have to be there. And last but not least, yes, i believe Steve would do that because in the end, he is a man, and for some men, sex is a psychological need, an addiction to quit sex, is like quitting smoking for them.
By
Myko Kitsune, At
6:50 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home