Within Me, Without Me

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Ahoy Tailgaters!

As I was making my way to Bill's Bookstore early this afternoon, after noticing that my version of "The Tempest" jumped from page 18 to page 51 (no wonder the play looked so uncommonly short for a Shakespeare work!), I noticed that right across from my street a 100% American phenomenom was taking place: tailgating. I had heard of tailgating before but I had never seen it unfold right before my eyes. What is tailgating? Its the act of having a "picnic" (well equipped with beer of course) near the location of a sports game, which is typically football: America's equivalent to Europe''s soccer. The point of it? Getting the spirits up for the game. Tailgaters adorn themselves, their cars and their sorroundings with every possible university or team realted artifact. From shirts to temporary tatoos, necklaces and makeup to tents, flags, chairs and huge car magnets its all about getting team spirits up. I had heard of tailgating before but had never seen people tailgating. Its really cool to see tents set up, cars adorned and people peacefully sharing and having a good ol' time before turning into rivals once they set foot inside the stadium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home